Saturday, August 20, 2011

Crying Over A Lawnmower


Have you ever cried over something that other people just wouldn't understand? Well, today was one of those times for me. I cried over a lawnmower. Not because it was beautiful (that would be weird). Not because it had just won some kind of competition and I was proud ( I don't even think those kind of competitions exist). It wasn't anything like that. I cried because I sold my lawnmower. How crazy is that?
Now, before you start mocking me, it wasn't one of those crying sessions where I was snotting all over myself or making that "ugly crying face"... you know the one, right? It was just a gentle trickle of tears (maybe 6-7 max) that streamed down my cheek. As the man who bought it counted out the money into my hand I could feel the weight of the situation. The lawnmower I've had since 2004 (FYI-I used to have a landscape company here in Atlanta and this was my main machine) was now being sold so that we can move to Brazil. It was my first commercial riding mower that I bought new. And now it was being loaded up on someone else's truck and driving away. Gone.
As the truck drove away with my mower, I walked back into my house and shot into my bedroom before anyone saw me with tears in my eyes (Hey, I'm sentimental but I'm not stupid. I wasn't giving my family any ammunition to make fun of Dad later... haha.). As I stood behind my closed bedroom door I started thinking about why we're doing what we're doing and the tears faded away. You see, there are people in Brazil who are "literally" dying and going into Hell for eternity without ever hearing about Jesus. And God has called us to bring the Gospel to them... that makes everything else seem insignificant and petty. So goodbye lawnmower, goodbye tears... it's just one step closer to getting to where God has called us. And there's nothing I wouldn't give up for Jesus... what about you?

Love Ya,
JIm

No comments:

Post a Comment