Thursday, November 17, 2011

I’ve Got a Lot of Pride in My Life



Pride. When you hear that word it’s usually a negative thing. The Bible talks about “pride going before a fall” and that that “God opposes the proud” and stuff like that. And that type of pride I definitely have to fight against constantly. But that’s not the kind of pride I’m talking about today. The kind I’m talking about is the good kind... the kind that I have because of my kids.
The other night I walked into Maryssa and Matthew’s rooms to spray some insecticide for them (because everyone’s been getting eaten alive at night) and for some reason it really hit me what a sacrifice my kids have made (especially Michael, Matthew and Maryssa). It’s huge. I mean, what would you do if your Mom and Dad told you that God was asking them to adopt 5 kids from a foreign country and that you would have to share your parents (with kids who have issues) for the rest of your life? Then, what if just 3 years later, Mom and Dad came and told you that they feel like God has asked the family to get rid of pretty much every convenience, comfort, and all the friends you had because God wanted you to move to the jungles of Brazil? Think about it... what would you do as a teenager?
It’s been difficult but they’ve been amazing. Now they do get aggravated with their brothers and sister and they pretty much want to strangle them 99% of the time but that’s to be expected, right? But when it comes down to it they just roll with it. And when we moved them, here to the jungle, they never once complained or bucked-up on us at all. When I was standing in their room, spraying the bug spray the other night, I wanted to cry. Especially when I looked at Maryssa’s wall and saw all the pictures of her friends, back in Georgia, hanging everywhere. Wow. The fact that they’ve not complained about being here, not even once, is nothing short of a miracle. Where they’re living now is primitive (I’m putting it nicely). I mean, to say that they’re living below what they’re use to would be a major understatement. It’s one thing for Me and MJ to make sacrifices because of ministry, but for them to have to make the same sacrifices is something totally different. As a parent it makes you feel bad too. But then to see them being willing to Follow Christ along with us is such an awesome feeling. I’m so thankful that God has honored our prayers and saved them and chosen them (and that they’ve decided to follow Jesus). I’ve seen soooo many PK’s (preachers kids) over the years who are bitter and rebellious to the things of God. Either because they see how ministry/people have hurt their parents and they want nothing to do with it or because they’ve never developed their own relationship with God and they just fall away. But to see my kids and how they’ve embraced what God has asked us to do, it just makes me proud.
I just pray, that as their parents, we can continue to point them toward Jesus because the decision to follow Him is ultimately all theirs.
Different blog today, I know. And if you didn’t make it to the end of the blog today that’s OK. Usually when people start bragging on their kids I usually tune them out, so it serves me right (you reap what you sow, right?). So, if you’re not even reading this that’s OK. I’ve got so much pride in my kids right now I’ll just tell you again later: )

One Proud Dad,
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment