Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Learning Portuguese









Not being able to speak Portuguese is one of the most difficult things for me here in Brazil. There are so many people I want to talk to but can’t... because I don’t speak Portuguese. And when you’re a communicator that can’t communicate, it’s extremely frustrating. But I’ve got to trust the fact that God knew that when He called us here in spite of my frustration.


The other day, I was out in the next town up from ours, and I was trying to speak Portuguese to the person at the store that I was at. When I spoke (believe me, it wasn’t anything profound... something like, “can I have 2 kilos of sausage” or something to that effect) they looked at me with a bewildered look on their face like I was speaking a foreign language or something (which actually, to me, I was... Portuguese!). So I said it slower and they said, “ohhhh” as the lightbulb went off. That’s happened several times too. It’s so aggravating. I’m a foreigner, so I’m gonna say it a little different, so cut me some slack! When I was in the US I had several people I worked with over the years that were from other countries and I realized they were from somewhere different so I looked past their accent and just knew they were saying it a little different because they weren’t from the US. No big deal. So what if they pronounce Jim as Geem. And so what if they don’t use the correct verb tense... no big deal. I didn’t stop and act like I didn’t understand them until they said it “perfect.” But not here. If I don’t pronounce it perfectly they stop everything and say, “huh? As they just stare at me.

Come on man, really? Have some compassion on a brutha!

When I told MJ about it she told me what she thought was really happening. You see, we live in the mountains/jungles of Campina Grande do Sul. In the town of Terra Boa. It’s way out in the middle of nowhere. And that’s where we’re learning Portuguese. They speak Portuguese here but it’s sounds different than the Portuguese they speak in the city. MJ said, “it’s like going to Alabama to learn English.” When she said it I was less than excited. I thought, “great, I’m speaking redneck Portuguese!”

Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t have anything against Alabama or the way people from Alabama speak. I’ve got friends who either have lived or are currently living there. But, when I think of Alabama, the first thing that comes to mind is NOT “hey, I wish I could talk like that because they’re such great orators.” (Actually, I can talk like that, but only when I’m trying to be funny.) And, when it comes to speaking Portuguese, I just don’t want to speak it with a Brazilian southern-country-hillbilly-style accent. Is that bad? I think it’s God’s way of messin’ with me. He probably looked at Jesus one day and said, “you want to see something funny? Watch this, I’m gonna let Jim learn Portuguese but when he speaks it he’s gonna sound like a hick.” Haha God... real funny!

Some of our ministry supporters from the US sent us the Portuguese version of Rossetta Stone several months ago but it never arrived. We think they were confiscated by Customs or something. But this couple actually went out and purchased a second set and there’s a mission team bringing it to us in a few weeks. (Thanks Dave and Vivian Cornett! You guys are awesome!) I can’t wait to get them so I can get going on this whole language thing. And in addition to that there are 2 teachers from the high school who are giving me and Brad private Portuguese lessons every Monday in exchange for us teaching them English. We’ve only done it a couple of weeks but it’s definitely helping. So, please continue to pray for us as we learn the language here. But be more specific with your prayers... no Alabama Portuguese, please!


Yee Haw,

Jim



PS - the pictures at the top are of a church I spoke at the other night. At the end of service I felt pretty good about my message until I looked over and noticed that my youngest son, Robert, was totally knocked out! Now one of 2 things went through my mind:


1) Either my message was so powerful and anointed that people were literally collapsing under the tremendous anointing that dripped from every word I had just spoken.

Or


2) I had bored my son (and possibly everyone else) so much that the only escape from having to hear me speak any longer was to take a nap.


Hey, even Paul put people to sleep during sermons (see Acts 20:9) so if it was option 2, then I’m still in good company, right? lol!

The other picture was after service and some of the people we ate with. That’s one thing I like about the Brazilian culture. They always eat together after service. Now I know what you’re thinking. And, NO, it’s not just because of the food that I like it. It’s the fellowship. The fellowship aspect of it is something I think we miss out on in the American church.

The other pictures are of a lightning storm that was way out in the distance the other night that we snapped a few shots of.


1 comment:

  1. Good luck with Rosetta Stone! That's what Kim and I used to get us started learning before we went to Brazil to get our kids. It's quite good. Boa sorte!

    ReplyDelete