Friday, March 2, 2012

Somebody, Please Feed Me!





My father-in-law (a.k.a. Papa) helped Robert (our youngest son, who’s 6) build a bird house. Papa had one at his house and Robert kept pestering him to build him one until finally one day he (Papa) broke-down and did it: ) They worked on it together over a couple of days until it was finally complete. Robert was so proud. He got the posthole diggers and dug a hole for the post and then we helped him put it in the ground. Then we went and bought some birdseed for it and waited for the birds to come... and we waited... and waited... and waited. We actually waited a couple of weeks before the first bird showed-up. And when it did, Robert was so excited! He yelled for everyone to come look. Then over the next few weeks birds started frequenting the feeder more often.

But then something really weird happened. This bigger black bird showed-up and started squawking as it sat on the feeder, standing right in the middle of all the seed. Then this much smaller bird (that looked totally different, they obviously weren’t related) flew over and started eating the seed right next to it. Then (this is where it gets weird) as the bigger bird continued to squawk the little bird started picking up the seed and putting it into the mouth of the bigger bird. The little bird was feeding the bigger bird! What’s up with that? This other bird was twice the size of the little bird and was fully capable of eating on his own but rather than doing that (eating on his own), he just sat there squawking with his mouth wide open while the little bird fed him. It was bizarre.

They come to the feeder every day and they go through the same process. The big bird sits and squawks (while he’s standing in a pile of bird feed), and the little bird feeds the bigger bird. Every day this happens. As a matter of fact, they’re doing it outside my window as I write this blog. It was cute at first, but now I think it’s kinda pathetic, really. Their nothing wrong with the bigger bird so why is he relying solely on the other bird to feed it? Maybe the smaller bird lost some type of “bird bet” or something...


Small bird- “I bet you that I can fly to that tree faster than you!”


Big bird- “No way, my wings are bigger!”


Small bird - “Bigger’s not always better.”


Big bird - “Yes it is.”


Small bird - “No it’s not! I’m more aerodynamic than you because I’m smaller!”


Big bird - “What? You callin’ me fat?”


Small bird - “Maybe. If the feather fits, then... I’m just sayin’.


Big bird - “OK. Let’s do this thing! If I win then you have to feed me whenever I’m

hungry.”


Small bird - “You’re on!”


Big bird - “OK. 1-2-3- Go”


And the rest is history. The little bird lost and has become a slave to the bigger bird.

At least in my mind, anyway: )


OK, obviously that’s not what happened and I obviously I have too much time on my hands to actually be able to think that up, but it’s just weird. For a larger bird, that isn’t even the offspring of the smaller bird, to have to feed him isn’t natural.

Now, if you’re a pastor, you probably saw this illustration coming a mile away, sorry. But that’s a perfect example of most people who say they’re followers of Christ. They show-up at church and sit there with their mouths open while the pastor feeds them, then they go home and they don’t eat again (spiritually, that is) until the next time they come to church. Then, they sit there while the pastor feeds them, then they leave and the process continues. That’s not the way it (our spiritual growth) was designed to work. We were designed to be self-feeders. Sure, when we’re new to Christ, there’s a period of time when we need someone to feed us, but that’s only temporary. The eventual goal should and is to be able to open the Word of God and get something for ourselves. Sure, people can still add to our growth (through sermons, podcast, books, etc.) but our primary growth should come in our own personal times of study and prayer.

So, I guess the question is... “are we sittin’ there squawking with our mouths open waiting for someone to drop something in or are we eating all by ourselves?” Just something to think about: )



Love Ya,

Jim



PS - the pictures up top are of the birds this morning. I tried uploading a video of it but it would work!??.

I’ve been told that the story behind this is that the smaller bird laid eggs and something pushed them out of the nest and replaced them with the egg/eggs of another species of bird (the black one). When they hatched neither one knew that it wasn’t her offspring so she just raised it as her own.?? At least that’s what I was told.

I don’t know, but if I’m the daddy bird, momma bird’s got some explaining to do! lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment