Monday, February 6, 2012

The Dolphins Win the Super Bowl!!!



In my dreams, right? Actually they did win the Super Bowl... January 13, 1974! haha! And they’re still the only team to go undefeated for an entire season (the 72’ team), so take that! Bam!
Anyway, yesterday was Super Bowl Sunday. That was always a big day for us when we were back in the States. The church we served at would put a huge 20’ inflatable football in front of the church and we’d have what we called “Jersey Sunday” where we would have everyone wear a jersey or the colors of their favorite team (not just football either) to service. It was a casual Sunday and was actually really cool. We’d really push for people to invite someone who didn’t know Christ and make it a special service geared around the Super Bowl. Then we’d serve beer and nachos after service and everyone would bring their grills and we’d “tailgate” out in the parking lot. lol! I’m just kidding. There was no beer, nachos or tailgating! haha. I was just seeing if you were awake: )
Super Bowl Sunday is (from what I read) the biggest sales day for beer, chips, dip and stuff like that. Major corporations spend literally millions of dollars advertising their products during the Super Bowl. There were record numbers of people who watched last year’s Super Bowl (the most to watch an event in television history) and when the figures come out this year I’m sure they’ll be huge.
The weird thing is that yesterday I didn’t even know it was Super Bowl Sunday. No I’m not trying to ‘Jesus Juke’ you, don’t worry (if you don’t know what that is click HERE). It’s just crazy how something that was so important to me in the U.S. wasn’t even on my radar here in Brazil this year. I mean come on... it was Super Bowl Sunday. But I survived. I’m still here and in 10 years nobody will be able to tell you who won yesterday, right?
Do I love football? Absolutely. Is football evil? No. Unless of course you’re a Patriots fan, then you have reason to doubt your salvation because I heard that they’re the devil’s favorite team... just sayin. OK, I was just joking... well, kinda: )
Anyway, I can say with all certainty that not one person here in my town bought a bag of chips, some dip or even one beer and sat down with friends to watch the Super Bowl yesterday. There were no headlines on the front of the paper this morning declaring “Giants Win!” It was just a normal Sunday and today was just business as usual. It’s a totally different world here. But that’s cool.
There’s no point to today’s blog. Sure, I could have gone off on a tangent about how we put so much time, money and emotions into something as temporal and fleeting as football. Or I could have sermonized the fact that if we were that excited about our relationship with God (as we were about football) that the Gospel would be preached everywhere and Jesus could finally return... but that would have been a definite “Jesus Juke” and I told you I wouldn’t do it: ) I just wanted to tell you about it because it was just so bizarre that I didn’t even know it was Super Bowl Sunday yesterday. It was weird. Well, that’s all for today but come back tomorrow... we’ll hopefully have something with more substance.

Predicting the Dolphins Will Win the Super Bowl Next Year,
Jim

PS - hopefully I didn’t offend you with my Patriots Fan = devil worshipper reference. I was only joking since they’re like a thorn in the side of my "Fins." But having said that,
Bill Belichick actually might be the anti-christ described in the book of Revelation.

No comments:

Post a Comment