Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I’m Not The Best Example



Our kids have been home schooled for pretty much their whole lives. Not because we’re afraid of “the world” or we wanted to make sure that they could sew their own clothes and churn their own butter either. (Don’t laugh because that’s the picture that comes into most people’s minds when they hear the term “home schooled,” right? And no, my kids can’t sew or churn butter, just in case you’re wondering.) The reason we chose to home school is because we were in full-time ministry and with the schedule we had it’s what worked best for our family. We didn’t have to wake up at 5am just to get our kids to 3 different schools after being up late the night before at church or at an event. It worked and it was great. But now that we’re here in Brazil on the mission field and we’re beginning ministry in the schools it only makes sense that our kids are in the public schools as well. The faculty that we’ve met with are great and seem to be pumped that our kids are there and that we want to partner with them in the classroom. Brad was teaching English last year in the Elementary School and he’s probably going to start in the High School this year. I’m suppose to start teaching P.E. (still funny to me) in a few weeks (the Principle wants to let the kids get a few weeks under their belt before we start doing anything). We’re very excited about being a part of the community like this.
Maryssa was pulled out of her class yesterday (she’s in 10th grade) and was asked to come speak to another class that was learning English there in the high school. (For those of you who know her, you know she hated this. She’s a behind-the-scenes kind of girl. lol!) She stood at the front of the class and talked and answered their questions. They asked her things about the U.S. and where she was from... stuff like that. The teacher asked her what her dad did and she didn’t know if they’d understand “a missionary” so she said, “he’s a pastor.” Which, from the back of the room, a couple people replied, “amen.” Now that’s funny! You’d have to hear Maryssa tell the story to get the full effect though.
At the end of the class the teacher asked if anyone had any more questions for Maryssa and 1 kid raised their hand and asked how old she was and if she had a boyfriend. I’ll go ahead and answer that... 15 and back off before I physically harm you! Really, I will, so don’t even try it. Sorry, she’s my princess and that’s just the “Dad” rising-up in me.

In the elementary school, from what we’ve seen, the kids are a little rough. There’s a lot of fighting and bullying that happens. Any time I’ve been at the school it seems like the kids are always throwing punches, pushing and fighting. So, since I have 3 boys (6,7 and 9 years old) there at that school, we all sat down and went over the rules:

Rule # 1
Never, under any circumstance, punch, push or kick anybody... unless you’re in danger or if someone else hits you first.

Rule #2
Never let anyone hit or be mean to one of your brothers, sisters or cousins. We’re family and we stick together no matter what.

That was my conversation with the 3 youngest boys the day before school. Later that day MJ said Robert (our youngest, he’s 6) was walking around the house saying, “I want to see somebody hit me” then he was pounding his fist into his palm while he was shaking his head back and forth and making this clicking noise with his mouth. It was funny at first. But then when I thought about it I started second guessing my rules. Am I being a good example? I don’t want the kids just being set on the ready for fighting... just waiting for someone to throw the first punch so they can retaliate. Because even though I don’t want my kids to be picked on and run over I want them to be an example for Christ more than anything. We actually spent a lot of time talking with all the kids about the real purpose that they’re in school... to represent Jesus and share the Gospel with a bunch of kids who, unless something happens and they make Jesus Lord, are going to Hell. Sounds harsh but it’s true nonetheless.
So where’s the balance? Or is there a balance? I know somebody is saying, ‘but Jesus said if somebody strikes you to turn the other cheek.” Yes He did, but actually the word He used for strike is the Greek word rhapizo which means to slap with an open hand. This was meant to be insulting more than it was an attempt to beat somebody up. He was telling them that if someone insults you like that, then just turn the other cheek. He was telling them not to respond to an insult (like being slapped), He wasn’t saying that they needed to just sit back and let someone beat them down. Jesus wasn’t against self-defense.
So where do we draw the line? What about war? Do we pull the conscientious objector card and not defend our country? What about if someone enters your home and is going to harm your family? Do you just sit back and say, “Jesus loves you and so do I” or do you defend your family? For me, I lean more towards the “christians aren’t wimpy doormats that need to lay down for everyone to walk on them” philosophy and put the beatdown on somebody. I want to share the love of Christ with everyone but I don’t think we need to allow physical abuse to happen towards us or our family either. But that’s just my opinion. What do you think? Where do you stand? I know this isn’t the typical “christian blog” topic but I’m curious where you stand. I know people are all over the map on this subject but I was just wondering.
As for our little son Robert... I spoke with him again and discouraged his attitude of just looking for someone to “step out of line” so he could retaliate. That’s not the attitude that we want to portray in our family. He’s made it through a whole week now and no incidents at school (other than just being hyper-active and crazy). Sometimes I feel like I’m being a good example to my kids but then other times (like on this whole defending yourself issue)... well, I’m just not sure.

Beatin’ People Up for Jesus (jk),
Jim


PS - The picture at the top is of Robert and MJ in their Carnival masks that Robert made in class. Carnival is a huge event/holiday here in Brazil and it’s next week. We've got a large youth group that's going to be here at the camp with us for it, so please pray for us and the students. We want them to leave changed by the presence of God : )

No comments:

Post a Comment