Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Can I Have My Change Please?



The other day I was at this store called a Lojas Nina in Jardim Paulista. It’s the American equivalent of a Dollar General Store back in the US. They sell a cornucopia of stuff ranging from clothes to toys to tools. Everything is super-cheap... just like all the junk at Dollar General. The only problem is the stuff usually breaks after you’ve used it a couple of times... just like the stuff from Dollar General: ). You know what I mean, right? Well, we were out the other day looking for a special kind of paper for Marlon so that he can make kites. Flying kites is a huge thing here in Brazil and Marlon, as it turns out, is a master kite maker. It’s something he learned before we adopted him (back in the orphanage). The fact that kids like flying kites here is awesome though. It replaces the X-Box, TV’s, computers, and all the high tech gadgets that kids back in the States want (which saves me money) so I’m not complaining: )
Anyway, back to the Lojas Nina place. We went there looking for the paper-like material that Marlon uses for kites, a couple roller naps (those things you roll paint on with) and a few other things. After we found all the stuff we needed MJ went out to the car while I went to pay. When I payed the lady handed me my change back and also gave me a little piece of wrapped candy. When I saw it I thought, “man... that’s nice. She gave me a piece of candy because she appreciated my business.” It actually made me feel good. You see, customer service isn’t the same here as it is in the States. In the States there are terms that are used like... “the customer is always right” or “the customer is king.” And because of the high level of competition (between businesses) customer service is a priority. There’s a high value that’s placed on the customer because you want their repeat business. Here, where we live, there’s not the high level of competition (between businesses) because they’re not really competing with anybody. Either people like what you have or they don’t. If they want and need it you’re “the only game in town” so going overboard with pampering the customer isn’t necessary. They can either buy it from you or they can go without. Pretty simple. So, there’s no “price wars” or super-creative marketing schemes that are devised to make the customer want to choose your business or return to it. (I’m sure it’s different in the larger cities here in Brazil, but here in the smaller villages it’s not). So when this lady used such a simple gesture (giving me a small wrapped piece of candy) to appreciate my business I thought it was great. So, I put my change and my little piece of candy in my pocket and strutted out to the car where MJ was waiting for me. I got in the car and began to tell her the story about how they gave me a piece of candy and how cool it was and then she busted out laughing. She continued laughing as she began to explain to me how if they don’t want to give you back smaller amounts of change (like a few pennies) they’ll give you a piece of candy instead. What!? Candy? My countenance fell and my feeling of feeling appreciated quickly switched to feeling like I just got ripped-off! What’s up with that? It’s not like they said, “excuse me sir... can I replace your 3 cents with this finely wrapped piece of Brazilian candy?” No. They just assumed that money wasn’t as important to me as food and that I’d probably buy candy with the change anyway, so they were just eliminating a step for me. Is it because I’m overweight? Sure... throw the fat guy some candy and he’ll be happy! Man. I really felt like I had “just got taken.” I guess it’s just another part of the Brazilian culture. I’m still learning: )
But back to my initial reaction when I thought that I was being appreciated. It was so unexpected. Such a small little piece of candy made me feel appreciated and made me feel like I mattered. The lesson I took away from that (besides the fact that if I get a piece of candy with my change, it really means I just got shorted) is:
“little gestures of appreciation mean a lot.” It doesn’t matter if it’s towards my wife, towards my kids, towards an employee, towards an employer, towards a neighbor, toward someone visiting or attending our church, towards_____________ (you fill in the blank). It means something. When you appreciate someone you’re actually building a bridge toward them or strengthening something that’s already established. And that’s important. It’s important to the people that God has placed in our lives. It’s even important to God. Everyone’s heard that quote from Galatians 6 where Paul writes about how God isn’t mocked, that everyone will reap what they sow, right? But what about what verses 9-10 say? It’s says,

”Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith.”

That word “good” in the Greek (kalos), means “good that inspires (motivates)”. Didn’t know you’d be gettin’ some Greek today, huh? But showing appreciation is doing just that... it’s inspiring someone. So, I’ve already got someone in mind that I need to show appreciation to, what about you? Is there someone you need to surprise with a little appreciation? I’m sure you can think of at least one person.

Looking For My Change,
Jim


PS - Please pray for us and our Thursday Night Discipleship meetings. We started last week and have given the meetings a total facelift. Can’t wait to see what God does in these kids’ lives.
Also, the picture up top is the actually piece of candy that was used in the crime... the crime of me getting ripped off by “the Loja Lady,” that is: )

No comments:

Post a Comment