Saturday, April 4, 2009

I Think I Can Talk About it Now

Yesterday was so emotional. There was no way that I could have even attempted to relate it through the blog without weeping. So, I decided to wait until today to blog about it. Yesterday, we visited the orphanage that we adopted our children from last year. We really wanted to go back and visit so that we could thank all of the people who took care of our children while they were there. We also wanted to bring gifts to all of the children who were there and have a day to just hang out, do crafts, play soccer, face paint... you know... just spend time with them. When we arrived the kids were peering through the barred windows waiting for us. When we got out we were greeted by one of the directors of the orphange as well as some of the children. We began to show them pictures of our children so they could see how much they've changed in one year. Everyone was so happy. Then one little boy, named Lucas, looked at the pictures then immediately walked away with his head hanging low. I watched him out of the corner of my eye and saw him walk over to a wall, put his back against it and slide down with his face in his hands. Immediately, I knew why this happened... you see, last year little Lucas was the last face I saw as we pulled away from the orphanage with our 5 adopted children. And to this day I haven't been able to forget the look in his eyes. It's like I could hear him thinking, "why do they get a family and not me?" It was so sad. Now here it was 1 year later and Lucas was still there. I think that seeing how happy Marlon, Ana, Diogo, Gabriel and Robert were really hurt him. Not because he didn't want them to have a family. But because he didn't have a family. When I saw this happen , I lost it. Later in the day, he even told one of the people on our mission team that all he wanted was a family. It isn't fair that these children don't have parents. It isn't fair that they don't have someone to be there for them no matter what. They didn't ask to be put into this situation. They didn't ask to be orphans. Man, we as the church have GOT to do something. We can't just go on just thinking about ourselves while over 134 million children in the world today are without parents. While millions of people all over the world are starving and destitute but yet we do nothing. Please don't tune me out. What I am saying that we as the church we have got to step up and start doing something more for the orphans, widows and the poor. I'm sorry if I seem ticked... but I am! You see, yesterday I had to drive away from that same orphanage, and look into the eyes of that same little boy, who had that same look in his eyes... the eyes that said, "why can't I have a Family?"
Jim



2 comments:

  1. Anna wants to write you, what e-mail are you checking? you can e-mail me. Also I put up some photos of Gabriel's birthday and their mud bath and I'll post more as fun things happen. Check it out at savingadventures.blogspot.com Hope you all are having a great time. The kids are doing amazing but really miss you both, the 2 I have anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! is all I can say. I love you both for loving Him. We'll pray for Lucas today, Dean and I will. It sounds like he could use a little hope.

    ReplyDelete