Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Icing on the Cake





Well, today was our last day of ministry here in Curitiba and we finished it on a high, that's for sure. We went back to the orphanage again! When I found out that there was a possibility that we were going to make another trip there I immediately thought, "there's no way I'm going back," because I didn't think I could handle it emotionally. The last time we visited
(on Thursday) was one of the most heart-wrenching things I've ever done. Don't get me wrong, it was awesome hanging out with all the kids, but having to leave them there was painful. It's incomprehensible to think that these beautiful children were either abandoned by there parents or that they were being abused so badly that the government had to take them away. It's crazy! Anyway, we were able to go and purhase over 100 liters of milk, soccer balls, crayons and coloring books... all of which we gave to the orphanage. We also bought a bunch of pizza and soft drinks and went and served it to all of the kids and the house parents. There were close to 40 little children that were so thankful for us being there. After we served them and they finished eating, we played with them. There was soooooo much energy on that property (and not because we just pumped them full of pizza and soda!) and there was so much love. You just sensed it everywhere you looked. There were kids loving all over the place, kids riding on people's shoulders, kids being swung around, jumping, laughing, hugging, kissing... it was amazing. Every mission team member was engaged with someone every second we were there and none of the kids felt left out. It really was "the icing on the cake" for the whole trip. Being able, just for a brief moment, to bring joy and to share love with these children was so fulfilling. I was able to hold it together until the very end... when Lucas came running over to me, jumped into my arms and gave me a huge hug. He held me so tight and didn't let go. That's when the tears started flowing again. But today was a little easier to leave, even though I was crying. You see, Crossroads Curitiba is going to start visiting these children regularly and will even be bringing them to church occasionally. So, until these children are adopted, they'll now be getting love and the Word of God... and that's really "The Icing on the Cake!"
Love ya,
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment