Tuesday, April 14, 2009

What Are You Seeing?

I don't know if you remember, but while we were in Brazil I prayed that God would never allow me to forget the things I had seen, touched and experienced while we were there. I know that we've only been home for a little less than a week but so far it's sticking. It's been hard to 'not' think about everything we saw. The poverty, the hunger for Christ in the people, the children... I can't get it out of my mind. There are a few things that are stirring in our hearts that I think God wants us to do (I can't share it right now but I will once I get more clarity). It's exciting and scary, all at the same time. We're just trying to discern what it is that the Lord wants us to do with what we've seen.
I believe that the Lord shows us things sometimes so that we can make a difference and bring His presence into the situation. Not that we'll be able to meet every need that we encounter or right every wrong that is made, but we as Christians are suppose to be light and salt in the world, right? That means that where there is darkness we shine light, where things are rotting we bring preservation (salt isn't just for flavor it also preserves), right? You see one day we are ALL going to have to stand before the Lord and He is going to separate everyone, like a shepherd separates sheep and goats. And He's going to tell the 'sheep' to enter in to the place that was prepared, by the Father, for them before the world began... because I was hungry and you fed me, I was thirsty and you gave me a drink, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and in prison and you visited me. And then they're going to say to Him, "when did we SEE you hungry, thirsty, naked, sick or in prison." And He's going to say, "when you did it for the least of these people you did it as unto me." The He's going to say to the 'goats' you didn't reach out to me in these areas and then you know what happens. It's not good.They even say, "when did we SEE you in these situations?" You know the story. This is something that WILL happen one day. Read Matthew 25. It's kind of scary if you think about it. What's funny is that He didn't say anything about, "you didn't preach to me, or you didn't quote the Bible to me, or that you didn't tell me everything I was doing wrong"... He's going to tell them that they didn't meet these basic needs and reach out and have compassion on them. We see people in need every day. And we don't have to go overseas to find people who need help. They're right here in our own neighborhoods... in our schools... on our jobs.
So, the question I think we all need to ask ourselves is, "God... why have you allowed me to see some of these things?" What changes do you want me to make so that I can help? I personally don't think that He allows us to see 'anything' by accident or just by coincidence. Sure, we need to pray for people in needy situations, but at some point we've got to put legs to our faith (James 2:14) and do something. We've got to give them food, water, clothing, visit them in their time of crisis, in addition to sharing the Gospel with them. We saw some overwhelming things while in Brazil. But rather than just praying for these people, or maybe just forgetting about them over time... we're going to do something. It's going to be crazy too! You just wait and see. We serve a BIG God and I believe He wants to show Himself mightily through His people. So, my question for you is, "what are you seeing?" What things has God allowed you to see? Maybe He's trying to put you into situations and allowing you to see people in need so that you can make a difference. What do you think?
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment