Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Why Don't They Sell Butt Cushions at the Airport?

OK. The older I get, the more my butt disappears. Yes, you heard me right. My butt has diappeared. I know that this isn't a very 'spiritual' way to start off with the blog today but I think I need to say it anyway. Let me explain... I turn 44 this year and it seems that every year my butt gets flatter and flatter, smaller and smaller, going, going... almost gone. And I really noticed it as we finished our 4 plane 26 hour trip to Curitiba. No matter how I sat... no matter how many times I shifted positions or what angle I tried to adjust to... I couldn't get comfortable. And then it hit me... I don't have any cushion back there! As a matter of fact I think all guys suffer from the same affliction as they get older. (And no, I haven't been checking anyone out either! It's just common knowledge.) One thing I did notice though, is that they sell those neck cushions at the airport and a lot of people were carrying them around. So, why not sell butt cushions? I bet they would sell great too! Maybe I'll start a fund raiser and use that as an idea?? So, if you go to the airport and you see a bunch of guys carrying around butt cushions... you'll know they stole the idea from me.
Anyway, we arrived safely in Curitiba, Brazil without ANY problems. Yes, that's right. No lost luggage, no running through airports to catch connections, no hold-ups in immigration or in customs... it was awesome! God was so good to us. We finally got to our hotel at 5:30pm... unloaded all the luggage, received our room assignment, showered(because we hadn't showered in over 35 hours), ate dinner and were out the door by 7:00pm to go minister at a church. It was pretty hectic... but worth it.
Mary Jane and I rode to church in the car with the pastor of the church we were going to, along with his wife and one of his daughters. It was dark and our communication was minimal because he didn't speak English and my Portuguese is weak. But we were able to understand that he had started a church and it wasn't in the typical location. As we turned onto a dark street that was leading us right in the middle of a place that woud make 'the projects' in the States look like Beverly Hills, we started seeing people walking down the street all moving toward the same direction. Now the streets were pitch black, dusty and pretty scarry but as we turned another corner we saw it... a sign that said "Living Hope Church". And that's where all these people were going. It was really amazing to see all these people, mostly kids ages 6-12, heading on this dark night to a place to hear the Gospel. We sang worship with them (songs we sing in the States, only in Portuguese) I was able to give a brief testimony and one of the other guys on the team ministered out of Matthew 22:37 on loving God above all else. A couple of people came to Christ and it was really cool to see what God was doing right in the middle of the darkness, both figuratively and spiritually, it made a huge impact on me. To see God moving in the lives of people who didn't even speak my language. Different language, same God... awesome.
Well tomorrow we have an opportunity to speak in 6 different assemblies in a school with several hundred children, so pray that God moves mightily among our group to bring people to Him.
We miss our kids so much and it's only been one day. Our children truly are a gift from God to us. We love you guys! And by the way... 'don't go stealin' my airport butt cushion idea... it's mine!

Jim

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted you to know I patented the butt cushion idea, with luck they'll be in the airports for your return trip. Just kiddin'
    The two kids I have are doing great!
    I asked Gabrielle if he wanted to say anything, he shook his head yes, "mommy I love you" I asked anything for daddy?, Sorry Jim it was portuguese but it included the word "good", which is one of the few I understand. Anna is outside.

    ReplyDelete